Saturday, January 7, 2012

Running in the country vs the city

My name is Robyn and my ass is BIG. lol. Okay, now that we have that out of the way, I can continue. Three years ago, we moved from the big city here to the country. When I was in the city, I had my very first running experience thru the Running Room. I went on a weight loss journey that saw me loose almost 60 pounds. Since then I have gained back 30.
Thru the Running Room, I had joined the Walking Club, and with them I went out once a week in the evening after work for about 2 hours followed by a seminar of some sorts put on by someone who spoke about something lol.
In any case, there were some amazing people who were encouraging about running. Yes my ass was big and so was the rest of my body, but that did not mean that fat people could not run. I had never tried running on my own, not something I ever thought possible. However, with the positive affirmation from a few I began. It was painful and terrifying, but yet invigorating. At the end of my full on weight loss and running, I was running for a whole hour every day in the morning and then another 20 on my lunch break. And the weight was flying off.
THEN...the excuses starting coming back....and I stopped slowly....then we moved to the country....I wanted to keep up the good health plan, but my days were spent outside burning, raking and cutting and chopping and cleaning. Why you say?....well I bought the biggest shit shack in the country along with 12 acres of disaster. It had not been taken care of at all, so I spent most of all of my days outside cleaning up.
So now that three years of excuses has gone by, and failed attempts at re igniting my passion for running have come and gone it's TIME....and this morning I went to get on the treadmill and it was making some special noises. Not the usual grunting sounds it makes from me getting on it, but some odd ones, ones that made me think this is not such a good idea this morning.
Well....I was dressed and ready to work out and my attitude was great this morning so I didn't want to waste this moment. So I got dressed a little warmer and went outside. I live on a mountain, so getting OFF the mountain took me about 20 min to walk down. I had to walk like a freak taking baby steps cause it's sooooooooo icy out there. Once at the bottom of the mountain I was warmed up enough from the walk down that I didn't need to walk all that much to be warmed up. So I found my self a landmark to mark my start and I was off and running. It felt GREAT. To be running in the country and to take in the fresh air and the scenery....yes it's scenery that I have seen for three years, but when your running it's totally different. It was the most amazing 23:10 I have had in three years. I feel as if the fire has been started in my running soul, and I shall continue this journey. I am not fast in any way shape or form, but it felt good, and that's what counts.
The funny things is that there were two cars that slowed down to see if I was okay...LOL...only in the country would that happen, in the city you could be on the ground with crows pecking at you and people would drive on by LOL.
Yes there are pros and cons of city and country running, just like there are pros and cons of winter and summer running, either way, all I know is that I don't want excuses for any of them, I want to just get out there and run, even if I look like a flailing cow LMAO.
So please, if you see a fat person running on the road, don't point and laugh, but be encouraging!  

No comments:

Post a Comment